The History of B.L.E.S.S.
The Bartlesville Lincoln Elementary School, built in 1914, is one of the oldest schools in Bartlesville, Oklahoma The school was closed in 1984 and was acquired by Service and Technology Corporation in 1986 when STC was founded as a consulting engineering firm.
The Bartlesville Lincoln Elementary School Scholarship, aka B.L.E.S.S., was established in 1988 by K. Vasudevan, Chairman and Founder of STC and SMC, as a non-profit Oklahoma corporation to remember and honor the students and staff of the Lincoln Elementary School.
The scholarship award began in 1994. Between 1994 and 2017, B.L.E.S.S. awarded 96 scholarships with funds totaling more than $365,000. Several B.L.E.S.S. scholars have graduated with various degrees including aeronautical engineering, electrical engineering, agricultural engineering, environmental engineering, technology, finance, education and more.
Why We Want to Bless Students
Our objective is to reward those students who might not otherwise be able to attend college due to financial needs or personal circumstances. We target students with an “average to above average” academic record, who exhibit a “high level of desire” to obtain a college education. The awards are made as interest-free loans for students studying engineering, technology, science, and other subjects, in that order of priority. These are general guidelines only and are not intended to exclude other students.
Who is Eligible?
- All students shall be eligible for B.L.E.S.S. regardless of ethnicity, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and similar considerations.
- Education in engineering, technology, science, and other subjects is the order of priority for the awarding of B.L.E.S.S.
- Available financial resources and the need for assistance shall be taken into consideration.
- A minimum of 2.5 out of a possible 4.0 high school GPA or a post-high school current GPA of 2.5 or higher shall be necessary.
- Good aptitude and interest in the chosen field of education are important.
- Stability in the pursuits of goals and good work habits are prime considerations.
What are the Requirements?
- Current transcript.
- A minimum of four letters of recommendation. Two of these letters should be from school staff members familiar with the applicant, and two from community members familiar with the applicant. All letters should be from non-relatives.
- An agreement covering the loan repayment, including appropriate co-signatures, is required.
How Do I Apply?
Applications for B.L.E.S.S. may be obtained from the high school counselor’s office, from the B.L.E.S.S. Secretary at 105 SW Penn, Bartlesville, Oklahoma 74003, U.S.A., or by downloading the application here. Completed applications must be submitted to the B.L.E.S.S. Scholarship Committee no later than June 1 each year. All of the required information must be provided before the scholarship committee can consider your application. Applications MUST BE submitted by mail or in-person to 105 SW Penn, Bartlesville, Oklahoma 74003, U.S.A. Electronic mail or fax submissions will not be accepted.
What Does it Take to Renew My Scholarship?
- Renewal Application.
- Current transcript.
- If the scholarship is renewed, a loan repayment agreement, including appropriate co-signatures, will be required.
- Renewal Applications MUST BE submitted by US Postal Service, or in-person to the B.L.E.S.S. Scholarship Committee, 105 SW Penn, Bartlesville, Oklahoma 74003. If you have any questions please call 918-336-8161. Completed form and transcript must be received no later than June 1st.
How Can I Help?
Contributions to the B.L.E.S.S. Fund (501c3) are tax-deductible and a great way to memorialize parents, teachers, and others you hold dear. We will be delighted to provide more information or show you the building and our B.L.E.S.S. showcase by calling us at 918-336-8161 or sending us an email.